Membership to the Salmo River Streamkeepers Society (SWSS) is open to all individuals and organizations that have interests consistent with the Constitution & Bylaws of the SWSS. Membership is inclusive, participatory, and active.
In today’s climate of Provincial and Federal Environmental agency limitations locally led groups who know “The Place Where We Live” are perfectly poised to address the challenges of increasing watershed development. In addition, we have been successful in advocating for and participating in the remediation of historic impacts, thus leading the charge for local watershed and river protection for future generations.
SWSS has been the backbone for environmental conservation in the Salmo River Watershed since 1998. Members have taken an active interest in preserving and enhancing local and regional waterways by forming collaborative partnerships. We promote awareness of threatened fish and wildlife in our watershed and in the Canadian Columbia Basin. We produce scientific studies, monitor our water resources, are involved in wetland and river habitat restoration, offer employment opportunities for youth and others, provide education and resources to the public, and are advocates for the environment and natural systems conservation.
Why Join Streamkeepers?
Individuals and organizations join SWSS for a variety of reasons including:
- Because deep down we all love Nature.
- The quality of water and the environment are important to us.
- Investing in “The Place Where We Live” directly benefits our community.
- SWSS has been the impetus for more than $10 million of economic development in our area through research, river restoration and tailings remediation since inception.
- Local employment for youth and others have been provided through SWSS.
- SWSS advocates for protection and restoration of environmental values to ensure appropriate compensation for the various impacts that have occurred in the Salmo River Watershed.
- Support for environmental research and monitoring that is being carried out in our Watershed by SWSS.
- Knowing that our collective voice means more when joining advocacy and stewardship efforts with other like-minded individuals.
- Strengthening aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
- Being part of our successful stewardship efforts in the Salmo River Watershed.
- Because it is meaningful and fun.
In addition to the benefits stated in Why Join Streamkeepers, members receive:
- Invitations to general meetings.
- Entitlement to Vote by attending the SWSS Annual General Meeting.
- News bulletins, activity and opportunity updates.
- Information regarding upcoming events and workshops.
- Training opportunities.
- Research, restoration and monitoring opportunities.
- Information about volunteer and honorarium opportunities.
- The knowledge that you are making a difference.
Membership and Sponsorship:
Individual and Family memberships are free. Corporate Sponsorship is appreciated and available starting at $250. Please consider the suggested donation amount as a benchmark figure, give more, give less, but most importantly, get involved in the stewardship of our Community’s future.
Or to send a cheque or money order (payable to Salmo Watershed Streamkeepers Society): download, print, fill out and mail our SWSS Sponsorship Form to:
Salmo Watershed Streamkeepers Society
Box 718, Salmo, BC V0G 1Z0
Salmo Watershed Streamkeepers Society is a registered charitable organization.
Charitable tax receipts will be issued for donations over $25.00.